Turned 18 in Kolkata? Finally want to drive down your dad’s expensive car? Well, we don’t recommend that, to start with, at least. But we can definitely help you with understanding the process of obtaining a driving licence in Kolkata. Trust us, gone are the days of standing in line waiting for your number to come in, wasting if not days, hours at your district Regional Transport Office (RTO).
A valid driving license is an essential document, if you want to get behind the wheel, in India. However, there are some formalities which need to be completed before you can finally get your driving licence in Kolkata.
A good thing to note is that when you obtain a driving license in India, regardless of which RTO issues it, you can use it to drive anywhere in India.
Since all states have different rules pertaining to driving licenses, let’s take the city of Kolkata today to understand how the RTO’s in the city of Kolkata function.
Kolkata, was one of the first few places that the British setup their trading posts in. Famously known as the of East India, Kolkata is the oldest port in the sub-continent of India. Previously known as Calcutta, it’s famous for many things. From the mighty tigers in Sundarbans, to the Victoria Museum. And, how can one forget the 2300-foot elevated Howrah Bridge?
Kolkata is a mesh of history, culture and art. With already being famous for its traditions and culture, Kolkata is not resting on its laurels. The government of West Bengal has tried to cut red-tape wherever possible and create a more transparent government.
And, to deliver on the promise of transparency, the state government of West Bengal has introduced obtaining driving licenses online. This was done in a collaboration with the central government and West Bengal was one of the first states to sign up for it.
These online services can be useful to apply for both a Learner’s License (LL) or a Permanent Driving License (DL). So, let’s go ahead and take a look at how to get your driving licence in Kolkata!
There are several types of driving licence in Kolkata available which you can obtain. Let’s take a look at them below:
– Two-Wheeler Vehicle License: This is applicable for both geared and non-geared two-wheelers. This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 16 for non-geared and 18 for geared.
– Four-Wheeler Vehicle License: This is applicable for both geared and automatic cars. This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 18 only.
– Commercial Vehicle License: This is applicable for any commercial transport vehicles (Ex: Mid-Size tempos). This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 20 only.
– Transport Vehicle License: This is applicable if the applicant wants to drive trucks, buses, bulldozers, specialty vehicles and other mid/heavy vehicles. This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 20 only.
You can apply for a driving license online in Kolkata, West Bengal. Let’s go ahead and figure out how to do that:
– All you have to do is visit the website setup by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways. This website is called Sarathi.
– Once you’re on the website, you can select the option to apply for a new LL/DL. (Learner License / Driving License)
– This will let you download the entire form from the website.
– After downloading the form, all you have to do is fill it and submit it back on the website. All of this can be done digitally and you don’t need to print the form.
– To book an appointment at your district RTO in Kolkata, all you need to do is pre-book the slot online.
– You can do this by going to the Parivahan Sewa This too has been setup by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways.
– You can also personally visit your district RTO (Ex: Alipore RTO), to book an appointment slot. If you have filled the form online, please make sure to carry the form to the RTO.
– You need to get your documents verified before taking the test. You do this by visiting the RTO at the appointment time chosen by you.
– At the RTO, you will need to verify your documents.
– The RTO accepts documents such as passport, Aadhaar, Voter’s ID. You also need to carry passport size photographs. This is to prove your identity, address proof, date of birth, etc.
– They will collect a small fee of less than Rs. 200.
– After which, you can give the test online and the license is issued on the same day, if you pass. If you fail, you can try again the next day.
– The test questions you on the rules and regulations of the road, so we suggest you brush up on that.
– The learner’s license is valid only for 6 months. So, make sure you visit the RTO and apply for a permanent driving license before those 6 months lapse. Otherwise, you will have to repeat the entire process again.
– Note, a minimum period to wait to apply for a permanent driving license is 30 days.
– After booking the appointment online, you have to get your documents verified and submit your forms too.
– The Form 4, which is available online has to be filled. This form is the application for a driving license.
– Carry documents such as your Aadhaar, passport, voter ID, etc. This is to prove your identity, address proof, date of birth, etc.
– A small fee of under Rs. 500 will be charged to process your application.
– You will also have to give a driving test at the RTO in front of an official appointed by the RTO.
– The learning license issued in Kolkata will only be valid in the state of West Bengal.
– The documents you submit to the RTO need to prove your permanent resident address, nationality, age, and other details. Please make sure to carry these documents in original.
– A permanent driving license usually reaches your permanent address within 30 working days.
– A permanent driving license is valid for 20 years from the date of issue.
We hope with this post, we have helped you understand the procedure to apply for a driving licence in Kolkata. We have also previously posted about how to check the status of your driving license application, renewing your driving licence in Kolkata and getting an international driving license too!
Share This page
© 2020 Navi Technologies Pvt Ltd. All rights are reserved.