Driving License in Hyderabad, The Complete Guide
Are you looking to get a Hyderabad driving license?
Getting a Hyderabad driving license in newly incorporated state of Telangana is super easy! And if you’re eligible, we recommend you get one ASAP. Why do you need a driving license, you ask? Well, trust us, when we say a driving license brings you a sense of self-sufficiency!
Think about it, once you have your license, you can drive to wherever you want to in Hyderabad or beyond! Maybe take your friends for that road-trip you always wanted to go for! Or maybe just take your friend from Mumbai to see Charminar or the Purani Haveli! Whatever the reason maybe, you should have a Hyderabad driving license if you want to get behind the wheel.
Most of us are already aware that in India, a valid driving license is a mandatory document, if you want to get behind the wheel. However, before one is granted a license in the state of Telangana, one has to go through some basic formalities.
Hyderabad, the capital of Telangana and has several Regional Transport Office (RTO) offices spread across the city. A Hyderabad driving license is issued by the RTO. One good thing about obtaining a driving license in India is that regardless of which RTO issues you the driving license, you can use it to drive anywhere in India.
However, if you’re travelling abroad, you can apply for an international driver’s license. This can be done through the Zonal RTO in Hyderabad.
Since all states have different rules pertaining to driving licenses. Let’s take the city of Hyderabad today to understand how the RTO’s in the city of Hyderabad function.
Hyderabad is also the fourth most populous city of India. Hyderabad is famous for its architectural marvels and culture. And, ever since the incorporation of the 29th state of Telangana. The state government has focused on creating a great experience for all the citizens. This includes pushing forward digital services for applying, obtaining and renewing a driving license.
The online services started by the government are applicable for both a learner’s license (LL) as well as a permanent driving license (DL). So, let’s go ahead and take a look at how to get your Hyderabad driving license if you’re residing in Hyderabad!
Types of Hyderabad driving license, Telangana
There are several types of driving licenses available which you can obtain in Hyderabad. Let’s take a look at them below:
- Two-Wheeler Vehicle License: This is applicable for both geared and non-geared two-wheelers. This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 16 only.
- Four-Wheeler Vehicle License: This is applicable for both geared and automatic cars. This type of a license is Generally granted to individuals above the age of 18 only.
- Commercial Vehicle License: This is applicable for any commercial transport vehicles (Ex: Tempos come under this category). This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 20 only.
- Transport Vehicle License: This is applicable if the applicant wants to drive trucks, buses, bulldozers, specialty vehicles and other mid/heavy vehicles. This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 20 only.
Applying For A New Driving License Online in Hyderabad, Telangana
You can apply for a driving license online in Hyderabad, Telangana. Let’s go ahead and figure out how to do that:
- Learner License (LL) / Driving License (DL) Form:
- All you have to do is visit the website setup by the state government of Telangana, called Government of Telangana Transport Department
- Once you’re on the website, you can select the option to apply for a new LL/DL. (Learner License / Driving License)
- You can also select if you want to get your license reissued. There is also an option of selecting to renew your driving license.
- This will let you download the entire form from the website.
- After downloading the form, all you have to do is fill it and submit it back on the website.
- All of this can be done digitally and you don’t need to print the form.
- Booking An Appointment At Your Local RTO in Hyderabad
- To book an appointment at your district RTO in Hyderabad, all you need to do is pre-book the slot online.
- You can do this by going to the same website you went to apply for a new license.
- Under Online Transactions, you can book an appointment for your learner’s license or for your permanent driving license.
- You can also personally visit your district RTO (Ex: Attapur RTO), to book an appointment slot. If you have filled the form online, please make sure to carry the form to the RTO.
- What Next For A New Learner’s License?
- You need to get your documents verified before taking the test. You do this by visiting the RTO at the appointment time chosen by you.
- At the RTO, you will need to verify your documents.
- The RTO accepts documents such as passport, Aadhaar, Voter’s ID. You also need to carry passport size photographs. This is to prove your identity, address proof, date of birth, etc.
- They will collect a small fee of less than Rs. 200.
- After which, you can give the test online and the license is issued on the same day, if you pass. If you fail, you can try again the next day.
- The test questions you on the rules and regulations of the road, so we suggest you brush up on that.
- The learner’s license is valid only for 6 months. So, make sure you visit the RTO and apply for a permanent driving license before those 6 months lapse. Otherwise, you will have to repeat the entire process again.
- Note, a minimum period to wait to apply for a permanent driving license is 30 days.
- What Next For A New Driving License?
- After booking the appointment online, you have to get your documents verified and submit your forms too.
- The Form 4, which is available online has to be filled. This form is the application for a driving license.
- Carry documents such as your Aadhaar, passport, voter ID, etc. This is to prove your identity, address proof, date of birth, etc.
- A small fee of under Rs. 500 will be charged to process your application.
- You will also have to give a driving test at the RTO in front of an official appointed by the RTO.
Points To Remember
- The learning license issued in Hyderabad will only be valid in the state of Telangana.
- The documents you submit to the RTO need to prove your permanent resident address, nationality, age, and other details. Please make sure to carry these documents in original.
- A permanent driving license usually reaches your permanent address within 30 working days.
- A permanent driving license is valid for 20 years from the date of issue.
We hope with this post, it is clear on how to apply and obtain a driving license if you’re a resident of Hyderabad!
We have also previously posted about how to check the status of your driving license application, renewing your driving license and getting an international driving license too! Which you can refer to, incase you need to dig more into this topic!