Driving License in Chandigarh, The Complete Guide
Wouldn’t it be amazing to have a Chandigarh Driving Licence?
Chandigarh is a union territory, and comes under the state of Haryana. However, it also comes under the state of Punjab. Chandigarh is the capital of both, Haryana and Punjab. So, if you’re a resident of Chandigarh, we are sure you can’t wait to get your own driving license to explore the most well-planned city of India in an even better way!
It’s important to note that a driving license is a mandatory requirement if you’re planning to drive any motor vehicle. To get Chandigarh Driving Licence, you have to go through some paperwork.
A good thing to note is that when you obtain a driving license in India, regardless of which authority issues it, you can use it to drive anywhere in India.
Since all territories have different rules pertaining to driving licenses. Let’s take the city of Chandigarh today to understand how the system in the city of Chandigarh functions.
Background For A Chandigarh Driving Licence
Who wouldn’t want to drive in Chandigarh? Regarded as one of the most well-planned cities of the world, driving in Chandigarh is a joy. Chandigarh was designed by Le Corbusier who was half Swiss and half French. He is regarded as one of the fathers of urban development and planning.
Along with planning the city, he also architected various buildings in Chandigarh. The High Court, Capitol Complex, etc. are models of architecture and were designed by Le Corbusier himself.
Along with being the most well-planned city in India, the government has always pushed itself into being the most transparent government too. The need for cutting red-tape and bureaucracy is now higher than ever. Therefore, the Transport Department of Chandigarh has introduced online services to apply for both a learner’s license (LL) or a permanent driving license or regular driving license (DL). So, let’s go ahead and take a look at how to get your driving license if you’re residing in Chandigarh!
Types of Chandigarh Driving Licence
There are several types of driving licenses available which you can obtain in Chandigarh. Let’s take a look at them below:
- Two-Wheeler Vehicle License: This is applicable for both geared and non-geared two-wheelers. This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 16 for non-geared and 18 for geared.
- Four-Wheeler Vehicle License: This is applicable for both geared and automatic cars. This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 18 only.
- Commercial Vehicle License: This is applicable for any commercial transport vehicles (Ex: Mid-Size tempos). This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 20 only.
- Transport Vehicle License: This is applicable if the applicant wants to drive trucks, buses, bulldozers, specialty vehicles and other mid/heavy vehicles. This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 20 only.
Applying For A New Chandigarh Driving Licence Online
You can apply for a driving license online in Chandigarh. Let’s go ahead and figure out how to do that:
Learner License (LL) / Driving License (DL) Form:
- All you have to do is visit the website setup by the Transport Department of Chandigarh, it is called Transport Department Chandigarh Administration
- Once you’re on the website, you can select the option to apply for a new LL/DL. (Learner License / Driving License)
- This will let you download the entire form from the website.
- After downloading the form, all you have to do is fill it and submit it back on the website. All of this can be done digitally and you don’t need to print the form.
Booking An Appointment At Registering & Licensing Authority (RLA) in Chandigarh
- To book an appointment at the RLA in Chandigarh, all you need to do is pre-book the slot online.
- You can do this by going to the Parivahan Sewa This has been setup by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways.
- You can also personally visit your district RLA (Ex: Sector 42 RLA), to book an appointment slot. If you have filled the form online, please make sure to carry the form to the RLA.
What Next For A New Learner’s License?
- You need to get your documents verified before taking the test. You do this by visiting the RLA at the appointment time chosen by you.
- At the RLA, you will need to verify your documents.
- The RLA accepts documents such as passport, Aadhaar, Voter’s ID. You also need to carry passport size photographs. This is to prove your identity, address proof, date of birth, etc.
- They will collect a small fee of about Rs. 200.
- After which, you can give the test online and the license is issued on the same day, if you pass. If you fail, you can try again after 15 days.
- The test questions you on the rules and regulations of the road, so we suggest you brush up on that.
- The learner’s license is valid only for 6 months. So, make sure you visit the RLA and apply for a permanent driving license before those 6 months lapse. Otherwise, you will have to repeat the entire process again.
- Note, a minimum period to wait to apply for a permanent driving license is 30 days.
What Next For A New Chandigarh Driving License?
- After booking the appointment online, you have to get your documents verified and submit your forms too.
- The Form 4, which is available online has to be filled. This form is the application for a driving license.
- Carry documents such as your Aadhaar, passport, voter ID, etc. This is to prove your identity, address proof, date of birth, etc.
- A small fee of under Rs. 500 will be charged to process your application.
- You will also have to give a driving test at the RLA in front of an official appointed by the RLA.
Points To Remember
- The documents you submit to the RLA need to prove your permanent resident address, nationality, age, and other details. Please make sure to carry these documents in original.
- A permanent driving license usually reaches your permanent address within 30 working days.
- A permanent driving license is valid for 20 years from the date of issue.
We hope with this post, we have helped you understand the procedure to apply for a driving license in Chandigarh.
We have also previously posted about how to check the status of your driving license application, renewing your driving license and getting an international driving license too! Which you can refer to, in-case you need to dig more into this topic